Saturday, November 21, 2009

What are you willing to risk in achieving your goals and dreams?

This question comes to us many times in our lives and we may have different answers depending on where we are in this journey of life. Folks its gut check time. How’s your family right now? Do you have a spouse or loved one out of work? Have you had to sell your house or make some major financial decision? It’s ok. Let’s not lose sight of what are the most important things in our lives. I graduated in 95 and have never had a bad time….really! For most of us we have never been in such a brutal state of economic hardship. Our grandparents were kids in the great depression and have vague memories.

So what do we do?

The first thing is do not worry. Worrying is crippling and will eventually kill you. I have a great friend of mine and his name is Sugan. He used to have a great question for me when I was having challenges in my life. “Can you live with it?” At the end of the day can you move on with your life? If you can’t fix the challenge can you seek help in overcoming the challenge? You must focus on the positive in everything you do. Don’t be afraid to fail. Failure breaths success and you can not achieve success with out failing. Stay focused on your goals. Do you write them down? I do and keep in my wallet so at any time when I become lost I can pull out and get focused. I started doing this in reaching my first major achievement. Playing for my country in soccer and participating in the 87 Jr. World Cup. My next major achievement was being the first person in our family to achieve a scholarship and to graduate with a University degree. My next achievement was landing employment with IBM and off I went into my technology career. Don’t let me mislead you I had many ups and downs along the way but my goals always kept me on track and if I did get knocked off track I could quickly find my way back to my goals. I found a great group on LinkedIn called Goal Achievers International. The gentlemen that started this group Phil Taylor has mastered these tips and is full of positive energy. Join these groups and surround yourself with people that have similar goals and dreams..

What is the alternative? When you wake up in the morning do you jump out of bed to make a difference or get up and wonder what your purpose is? If you’re not jumping start focusing on writing down your goals and get your life back on track. We always have at least two choices in our lives….Do nothing.. or do something... What choice are you going to make?

Don’t forget you are not alone and if you believe you can achieve anything you want.

Make it a great day!

By Kyle McGuffin

No comments:

Post a Comment